Sunday, August 4, 2013

Dream Come True

I've dreamed of kayaking with sea otters for years now.  This year I had the wonderful opportunity to spend my birthday doing just that.

Monterey is a few hours south of us and home to an amazing aquarium.

We kayaked outside the aquarium in the Monterey Bay.  I was hoping to see a sea otter or two.  We saw dozens.  There were harbor seals and sea lions.  It was an amazing experience.  I'm currently using the photos I took to inspire some clipart.



We kayaked twice that weekend and both times we were followed by a harbor seal.  We though this one was going to get up in our kayak.  They say to stay away from the animals, but I don't think the harbor seals got that memo.
Harbor Seals resting on some rocks near Cannery Row


Kelp forest from above

'
It took me a moment to realize this was two sea otters.  They were sleeping.  One has her head on the other's chest.

"Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they won't drift apart."


This sea lion was posing on a buoy for us.  Thankfully no sea lions were following us, they are so huge and made me a bit nervous.


This video has a couple of clips of our trip- including a clip of the harbor seal bumping our kayak gently and a moment when we were surrounded by dozens of sea otters swimming around.


I love the ocean and all the creatures and adventures it holds.  Soon, you'll see how the ocean has inspired my classroom this year.  Well, those of you following me on Instagram have some pretty good glimpses.

Follow me at http://instagram.com/surfingtosuccess
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. The pictures are pretty fantastic! The first one is my favorite :)

    Jessica
    Covered in Glitter and Glue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. Comments make me smile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...